How to make weed cupcakes
What's in the article?
If you are looking for a fun activity over the weekend then I have some good news for you. I have put in some effort to try out my baking skills and have made the most amazing cannabis infused edibles. You get the best of both worlds – you get high while eating dessert and they are great treats to enjoy when you have friends over. There are so many different weed edibles that you can bake such as weed cookies and muffins. They are delicious, easy to make, do not take a long time to prepare and use ingredients that you usually have lying around in the back of your fridge or pantry such as butter, flour, sugar and baking powder. If you are celebrating exciting news or a special occasion like a birthday, then you are going to want to serve some freshly baked weed cupcakes for your friends to enjoy. There are loads of recipes available showing you how to make cannabis cupcakes, but for your information, this one is my tried and tested favorite recipe.
My birthday is in May and every year it’s cold and rainy so I always bake a batch of chocolate cannabis cupcakes. My friends love them, they are quick and easy to make and they leave you laughing for hours. It was the first cannabis cupcake recipe that I ever tried and I have never looked back…and believe me, I have eaten many cannabis cupcakes in my lifetime.
What you need to make weed cupcakes
Before you learn how to make weed cupcakes, you first need to learn how to make cannabis infused butter or Cannabutter. Cannabis is naturally quite bitter so you need to remove the bitterness and you also need to activate the THC in the cannabis in order for the marijuana to have any effect on you. You can make a Cannabutter or cannabis infused oil which you can use to make easy, light and delicious weed edibles. I recommend using cannabis infused butter and I often make a large batch and then use it to make multiple new recipes that I find online.
How to make Cannabutter
You will need
- 30g dry cannabis
- 500g unsalted butter
- 1 litre water
- A clean pillow case
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F
- Using your hand, break up the marijuana evenly
- Line an oven tray with foil and scatter the marijuana evenly around the tray
- First bake the marijuana for 1 hour to activate the THC
- Melt the butter and water in a pot on the stove
- Lower the heat and add the marijuana into the melted butter. Ensure that the heat is not too high as you do not want it to boil
- Simmer the mixture for approximately 90 minutes, reducing the bitterness of the marijuana
- Line a plastic bowl with the pillow case and pour the mixture through. This removes excess liquid and removes the cannabis leaves from your butter
- This method is used for other marijuana infused truffle or chili oils etc. You can make amazing cannabis infused savory dishes as well using this butter or oil
- Cool the mixture in the fridge for approximately 180 minutes or give it sufficient time for the liquid to solidify
- The solid layer at the top forms the Canabutter used to make marijuana cupcakes
- This amount of Cannabutter will make approximately 24 cupcake servings
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups castor sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt /pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup melted Cannabutter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup hot black coffee
Directions for the cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cupcake or muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, beat all the wet ingredients together with an electric mixer until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk all the dry ingredients together until combined.
- Gradually add all the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and beat with a mixer until combined.
- Add the hot cup of coffee to the mixture and beat until it’s smooth and light.
- With a teaspoon, spoon some mixture into each cup and fill until 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for roughly 20 minutes on 350F.
- Insert a small toothpick or teaspoon into the center of the cupcake. The marijuana cupcakes are ready when the knife/teaspoon comes out clean.
- Let the cannabis cupcakes cool down for approximately 20 minutes.
If you do not have enough time to make the cupcakes from scratch or you have a muffin or cupcake box mix that you love then you can definitely use a box mix and use the cannabis infused butter instead of normal butter to make sure you get your marijuana hit.
Ingredients for the chocolate frosting
- 1½ cups unsalted butter softened
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 3½ cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon milk
Directions for the chocolate frosting
- Give the cannabis cupcakes enough time to cool down to room temperature before adding the frosting.
- In a bowl, cream softened butter, confectioners sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla extract and milk together with an electric mixer, making sure that the mixture has been mixed well and that it’s light and creamy.
- Use a spatula or flat knife to add the frosting mix to the cupcakes.
Looking for a different recipe?
With a few simple adjustments, this cannabis cupcake recipe may be edited to produce many different marijuana edibles.
- Instead of cupcakes, cannabis may be used in the same way to make a weed cake. Place the batter in a cake tin instead and fill the mix half way to the top.
- If you do not like chocolate cupcakes, then try vanilla cupcakes by substituting the cocoa powder in the chocolate cupcake and frosting recipes with 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract.
- You can exclude the cocoa powder in the icing recipe and use icing sugar with different colors of food coloring to create a cupcake for every color in the rainbow. Who doesn’t love multi-colored cupcakes? Cannabis just adds to the fun.
- Another one of my favorites is carrot cupcakes. Make these by substituting cocoa powder with grated carrot in the cupcake recipe and adding cream cheese and extra vanilla to the icing recipe.
- If you are looking for more indulgent recipes, then try making chocolate mousse cupcakes. Simply add two cups of your favourite chocolate broken into small pieces to the cupcake recipe. Then add melted chocolate (chilled to room temperature) and cream to the icing.
- Buttercream icing is delicious and provides a base to create different flavor variations. Buttercream icing is also very creamy and indulgent. To make buttercream icing, simply use one to three teaspoons of heavy whipping cream instead of milk and add a pinch of salt. Buttercream icing is also very easy to pipe making perfectly decorated cupcakes. Another benefit of buttercream icing is that it does not dry out quickly so your cupcakes will last longer.
- If you prefer sweet and salty combinations, then try making salted caramel frosting. Exclude the icing sugar and cocoa powder and make a sticky caramel sauce with brown sugar and salt.
- If you want to put in extra effort, then beat together egg whites and sugar in a bowl to create meringue for the cupcake topping. In a bowl, beat by hand or with a mixer depending on how much energy you have.
- If you are looking for easy, healthier recipes then try making weed muffins instead. Use the same amount of marijuana but halve the amount of sugar and add 2 cups of mixed nuts, seed or fruit. For these muffins, ditch the frosting and rather add 2 tablespoons of cinnamon or nutmeg to the flour mix. You can first substitute sugar with honey if you want to completely eliminate the sugar in the muffin recipe and then add some back if necessary.
- If you are looking for lower carb alternatives, you can also substitute the flour with coconut flour, the butter with coconut cannabis infused oil and the sugar with xylitol.
- If you are having family over to join in the celebrations, you can obviously exclude the cannabis from this recipe so that even granny can enjoy a cupcake.
I hope that I have provided you with some valuable information and that you put on your apron and get baking. These edibles are going to be worth the effort.